CATHOLIC REGISTER INDEX

Source Information

The Catholic Register Index (CRI) contains data derived from the registers of a number of Roman Catholic churches in Manchester. The source of this information is the original registers for these churches which have been transcribed by members of the Manchester & Lancashire Family History Society and of the North West Branch of the Catholic Family History Society. Specific information about each source follows

Church and CRI Index Coverage Further Details
Manchester, St. Wilfrid, Hulme
 

Bap 1842-1907
Mar 1844-1916

Marriage registers for St. Wilfrid's have been transcribed for the period 1844-1916. The transcribed details are available on CDROM from the Society's Online Shop.

Baptism registers for St. Wilfrid's have been transcribed for the period 1842 to 1907. The transcripts have been published on CDROM together with the marriage registers (see above).

The original registers are deposited at Lancashire Archives, Preston.

Manchester, St. Edmund, Miles Platting

Bap 1877-1904

Baptism registers for St. Edmund's have been indexed for the period 1877-1904. Scanned images of the registers and a full name index are available on CDROM from the Society's Online Shop

The original registers are deposited at Lancashire Record Office, Preston.

Manchester, St. Anne, Ancoats

Bap 1848-1875

Baptism registers for St. Anne's have been transcribed for the period 1848-1875. Images of the registers complete with a full name index have been published on CDROM. Copies are available from the Society's Online Shop

The original registers for this period are still held by the church. Later registers are deposited at Lancashire Archives, Preston

Manchester, St. Chad, Cheetham

Bap  1772-1893
Bap Index 1893-1926

The registers of St. Chad have not yet been fully transcribed. The baptism registers 1772-1893 have been transcribed and indexed and a DVD, which also includes images of the registers, is available from the Society's Online Shop.

From 1893 to 1926 there is an index copied from an early manuscript index to the baptism registers. Its accuracy cannot be guaranteed and some entries are illegible. It is, however, a useful index pending transcription of these registers. There are four additional sections in this register relating to baptisms at the Crumpsall Workhouse (1853-1867), Canal Street Workhouse (1857-1859), New Bridge Street Workhouse (1851-1885) and three baptisms described as "Military" (1860, 1861 and 1868).

The original registers are deposited at the Lancashire Archives, Preston and copies on microfilm are available in Manchester Archives and Local Studies.

Manchester, St. Mary, Mulberry Street ("The Hidden Gem")

Bap 1820-1831
Bur 1816-1825; 1832-1837

Baptisms 1794-1850, Marriages 1831-1836 and Burials 1816-1825 & 1832-1837 have been transcribed and indexed by MLFHS and the North West Branch of the Catholic FHS and are available on CDROM from the Society's Online Shop

The burial registers have been transcribed by MLFHS for the period 1816-1825.

The original registers are deposited at Lancashire Archives, Preston.

Manchester, St. Patrick, Livesey Street

Baptisms 1832-1860 & Burials 1832-1858

The baptism registers have been transcribed for the period 1832-1860 and the burial registers for the period 1832-1858 by the North West Branch of the Catholic FHS. The transcribed details are available on CDROM from the Society's Online Shop. CLICK HERE for baptisms and CLICK HERE for burials.

The original registers are deposited at Lancashire Archives, Preston.

Manchester, St. Francis, Gorton

Bur 1862-1873

The burial registers have been transcribed by MLFHS for the period 1832-1858. A printed copy is available at the Society's Resource Centre.

The original registers are deposited at Lancashire Archives, Preston.

Manchester, St. Ann, Stretford

Baptisms, Marriages & Confirmations 1859-1925

The registers have been transcribed by Salford Diocesan Archives. The transcribed details are available on CDROM from the Society's Online Shop

The original registers are still held at the church.

Manchester, St. Alphonsus, Brooks Bar, Old Trafford

Baptisms, Marriages & Confirmations 1904-1925

The registers have been transcribed by Salford Diocesan Archives. The transcribed details are available on CDROM from the Society's Online Shop

The original registers are deposited at Lancashire Archives, Preston.

Manchester, St. Anthony of Padua, Trafford Park

Confirmations 1904-1926

The registers have been transcribed by Salford Diocesan Archives. The transcribed details are available on CDROM from the Society's Online Shop

The original registers are held at St. Ann, Stretford.

Barton on Irwell Cemetery

Burial Registers 1823-1948

The registers have been transcribed by Salford Diocesan Archives. The transcribed details are available on CDROM from the Society's Online Shop

The original registers are deposited at Lancashire Archives, Preston.

St Mary, Swinton & The Swinton Industrial Schools

Baptisms 1856-1910, Marriages 1867-1920 & Confirmations 1863-1904 WW1 War Dead

 The registers have been transcribed by Salford Diocesan Archives. The transcribed details are available on CDROM from the Society's Online Shop

The original registers are deposited at Lancashire Archives, Preston.

All Saints, Barton upon Irwell

Baptisms, Marriages & Confirmations 1794-1912 Incorporating Trafford Hall Chapel and St John's, Trafford Park. Also including Confirmations at the St Joseph's Children's Rescue Home, Patricroft

 The registers have been transcribed by Salford Diocesan Archives. The transcribed details are available on CDROM from the Society's Online Shop

The original registers are deposited at the Lancashire Archives, Preston.

All Saints and St. John Vianney, Weaste, Salford

Baptisms 1896-1913, Marriages 1897-1912 & Confirmations 1899-1922

 The registers have been transcribed by Salford Diocesan Archives. The transcribed details are available on CDROM from the Society's Online Shop

The original registers are held by  Lancashire Archives in Preston.

Manchester, St Augustine, Granby Row

Baptisms 1820-26 & 1855-1900
Baptism Index 1838-1855

The Church was consecrated in 1820 and closed and demolished in 1908. The registers of baptisms between 1826 and 1855 were lost but not before an index had been created of the names and dates for children baptised 1838-1855. A transcript of the registers complete with a full name index have been published on CDROM. Copies are available from the Society's Online Shop

The original registers are held by  Lancashire Archives in Preston.

Ordsall, Salford, St. Joseph

Baptisms 1875-1909
Marriages 1876-1913

 The registers have been transcribed by Salford Diocesan Archives. The transcribed details are available on CDROM from the Society's Online Shop

The original registers are held by  Lancashire Archives in Preston.

Lower Broughton, St. Boniface

Baptisms, Confirmations and Marriages 1892-1915

The Lower Broughton mission was established in January 1892 by Fr Thomas Chronnell who rented a house at 7 The Avenue, to serve as a presbytery and temporary church. A room in Broughton Town Hall was later leased as a Mass Centre. Fr Charles Hanrahan succeeded in charge in 1893 and built a school-chapel which was opened in 1895.

Fr Patrick Wren was Rector from 1916 and built a new church on the adjoining site, costing more than £6000, this was opened in 1921. The new presbytery was built in 1938 by Fr John Gornall. Fr John Horgan was Parish Priest from 1948, and oversaw the demolition of the 1921 church and its replacement with a new modernist building, opened in April 1961.

Fr Thomas Whelan was Parish Priest from 1965-1981 and oversaw the building of a new social club in 1970, new schools in 1971, and a new youth centre in 1974. The 1970s and 80s saw the parish decimated by inner-city slum clearance removing many old families from the congregation.

Fr Peter Kinsella was the last resident Parish Priest, 2002-2008. Structural problems forced the closure of the 1961 church in 2006 and it was demolished in 2013 with Mass relocated to the neighbouring church-hall. Today St Bonifaceís is served from St Sebastianís, Pendleton.

 The registers have been transcribed by Salford Diocesan Archives. The transcribed details are available on CDROM from the Society's Online Shop

The original registers are held at St. Sebastian's, Salford.

Urmston, English Martyrs

Baptisms and Marriages 1892-1915

The Urmston Mission was established as an out-station of All Saint`s, Barton in 1890, when a small building was opened in the village as a Catholic school.

In 1891 Fr Francis Newton was sent to take charge and the first Mass was celebrated on the 4th October 1891. In these early years the Mission was linked with its fledgling sister- mission at Irlam. Fr Beulink arrived in 1893 and he built a corrugated iron chapel, paid for by Lady Annette de Trafford.

The present presbytery was purchased in 1900, and in 1901 the new school was opened. Fr Charles Rothwell arrived in 1902, and in 1913 he commenced work on the present church, it was formerly opened on 25th January 1914.

In 1935 a new infant school was built and the schools were further extended in the 1940s. In 1950 the daughter parish of St Monica, Flixton was cut off, and then in 1960, that of Our Lady of the Rosary, Davyhulme was established.

 The registers have been transcribed by Salford Diocesan Archives. The transcribed details are available on CDROM from the Society's Online Shop

 

Withington, St. Cuthbert

Baptisms 1874-1919

St Cuthbertís Roman Catholic Church, is the parish church of the district of Withington, within the Roman Catholic Diocese of Salford. The Mission was originally dedicated to the Holy Ghost and was opened in 1874 under Fr Seth Clarkson. Fr Joseph Lawless arrived in 1880, he built the first part of the present church in 1881, and the school in 1891. The famous Provost James Rowntree was parish priest from 1897 until his death in 1952. He completed the church in 1902 and built the presbytery in 1911. Canon OíLeary was PP until his death in 1974, and then Mgr Riley until 1980. During the late 1970s the church interior was entirely modernised.

Baptism registers for St. Cuthbert's have been transcribed for the period 1874-1919. The transcribed details and images of the registers are  available on CDROM from the Society's Online Shop.

The original registers are held by  Lancashire Archives in Preston.

Longsight, St. Joseph

Baptisms 1888-1910

St. Joseph's is the parish church of the district of Longsight, in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Salford. A mission was established in 1888 in the chapel of the St. Joseph's RC Industrial schools. The present church opened in May 1915 but was remodelled in 1969.

The baptism registers for St. Joseph's have been transcribed for the period 1888-1910. The transcribed details and images of the registers are available on CDROM from the Society's Online Shop

The original registers are held by  Lancashire Archives in Preston.

Miles Platting, Corpus Christi
Baptisms1890-1908

Manchester, Rusholme, St. Edward
Baptisms 1862-1908

Chorlton-cum-Hardy, St. John
Baptisms 1893-1931

Manchester, Levenshulme, St. Mary
Baptisms 1853-1920

Manchester, Ancoats, St. Michael
Baptisms1877-1917

The baptism registers for these five churches have been transcribed and indexed by members of Manchester & Lancashire family History Society.

The transcribed details and images of all five registers are available on a DVD obtainable from the Society's Online Shop

Amended 18 November 2016 - John Marsden